Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alaska or Bust 2016
Very early stages of planning...
Putting together a road trip to Anchorage, Alaska for the summer of 2016. Looking for an approximate 2 week trip departing on or about July 9, 2016 and returning on July 24, 2016. Would anybody on here be interested in joining in on this excursion? Anyone have advice or suggestions for places to visit or stay? We will be camping most nights to keep costs down a little bit and taking the occasional hotel stay to properly clean up. We aren't looking to drive straight there and back, but kind of meander our way there and back, taking different routes each way to see all that we can see. Like I said, this is in the early stages of planning and I will update with more information as we nail down a few more details. 

Rob 
I have been talking to people from the Alaska Offroad facebook group and they are more than willing to show anyone around, wheeling spots, camping spots etc. Primarily looking at the Anchorage and Fairbanks areas. Would love to attempt Prudhoe Bay, but not sure if that will be in the time frame we are projecting. Also roads going that far North are not all public and permission is required to travel on them.
(10-23-2015, 09:07 AM)Samsquanch Wrote: I have been talking to people from the Alaska Offroad facebook group and they are more than willing to show anyone around, wheeling spots, camping spots etc. Primarily looking at the Anchorage and Fairbanks areas. Would love to attempt Prudhoe Bay, but not sure if that will be in the time frame we are projecting. Also roads going that far North are not all public and permission is required to travel on them.

Have you watched Expedition Overland?
(10-23-2015, 05:44 PM)RSlaa Wrote:
(10-23-2015, 09:07 AM)Samsquanch Wrote: I have been talking to people from the Alaska Offroad facebook group and they are more than willing to show anyone around, wheeling spots, camping spots etc. Primarily looking at the Anchorage and Fairbanks areas. Would love to attempt Prudhoe Bay, but not sure if that will be in the time frame we are projecting. Also roads going that far North are not all public and permission is required to travel on them.

It's funny, I started looking at this trip a couple of months ago and researching places I would like to see, then found the Expedition Overland series on youtube. Made me want to take the trip even more. I have talked to groups in Fairbanks and Anchorage and they are more than willing to play "tour guide" for us.  On season 2 now, Central America, not sure that is a road trip I want to take lol.  
(10-26-2015, 09:51 AM)Samsquanch Wrote:
(10-23-2015, 05:44 PM)RSlaa Wrote:

It's funny, I started looking at this trip a couple of months ago and researching places I would like to see, then found the Expedition Overland series on youtube. Made me want to take the trip even more. I have talked to groups in Fairbanks and Anchorage and they are more than willing to play "tour guide" for us.  On season 2 now, Central America, not sure that is a road trip I want to take lol.  

Awesome lol.  I watched all of them within a few weeks. i was really interested in the Alaskan  trip as well i would love to do it if my truck wasn't a pig on gas.  maybe i should just buy a jeep.     yea the central american doesn't seem like the safest thing to do. it would be fun to go through the states to  the border but i wouldn't want to travel farther then that.  plus the hassle of getting your paperwork and everything would just be a massive pain. 
Well well, looks like a bust. With the shitty Canadian dollar and projections for it to get worse by summer looks like it will be more local exploring instead. Not that it's a bad thing, plenty to see and do a little closer to home anyway. Will give me more time and money to setup a trailer lol.