Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got a question on rule clarification, comments on rule enforcements or some memorable
Got a question on rule clarification, comments on rule enforcements or some memorable NHL stories? Kerry wants to answer your emails at cmonref@tsn. Rick Leonard Jersey .ca! Kerry: I will give you full marks for your comments on the Pens/Bruins fiasco...100 per cent bang on...that had to be the worst display of "game management" I have seen in a while. Kerry, Im an old timer, spent about 11 years wearing the black and white stripes and saw a lot in my day. What I dont get and never will is the reluctance to allow Linesman to be more involved in decision making. And no I am not talking about having them watch for more, Lord knows with the speed of the game they already have their hands full. HOWEVER, how many times have we seen blatant offences with NO call only to wind up with supplementary discipline? It happens routinely and you cannot tell me that in many of these cases one of the Linesmen did not see the blatant offence occur? Case in point: Phaneufs hit on Sunday night...how in the world do 4 (four) sets of eyes not see that as a direct hit from behind...no call but he has a hearing! And I am a LIFELONG Leaf fan! Point is if they (the League) are REALLY serious about cleaning up the game, then the culture amongst Officials has to change. You have four sets of eyes out there they should USE them and it can be done with undue burden...as I pointed out, not asking them to LOOK for more, but when they see it, they need to be able to call it. It is called "CHECKING YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR". This should not be a slight against the Referees...the game has changed dramatically. Its faster, harder, players are bigger and more mobile - its time to catch up. Cheers Kerry,Jeff Baldwin Jeff:Thank you for the thought-provoking question. You too sir are bang on with regard to many of the shortcomings that we see take place on almost a nightly basis in the current two-referee system. I have to question an apparent lack of coaching and the accountability process that NHL Officials are currently being held to when we witness similar plays that are often misjudged or missed. From your experience as a referee Jeff, you know that you have to position yourself in advance of the play to acquire the best possible sight line to make the call. I have made reference to this crucial aspect of officiating on many occasions in this column. When a call is missed, the referee most directly responsible for that call often has an obstructed view of the play. Yes, the game is faster and the players are certainly bigger, but there are too many "puck watchers" currently wearing black and white stripes that dont see the game in advance. Given the human factor, we know (and can accept) that calls will be missed; after all nobodys perfect. There are also a number of infractions currently in the rule book that Linesmen are allowed to call (hits from behind like the one Phaneuf delivered on Kevan Miller being one of them!) Linesmen have a difficult and specific job of their own to do; one that is very important and can also impact a game. Conferences between the four officials take place whenever a goal is scored and there is a question that goalkeeper interference took place or to determine if the puck was shot directly over the glass. A correct decision has often been rendered through these types of meetings of the minds. Many of the young NHL Officials have been fast-tracked through a two-referee system where they never really had to fend for themselves. There was always another person to rely on which inhibited their growth and experience as a young referee. I maintain that to be most effective, a ref has to work like he is the only set of eyes on the ice. He should want to see everything that takes place with his head on swivel even though he is responsible for certain specific areas of coverage in the two-referee system. The better referees in the NHL work within the current system to support their partner but also like they are the sole referee in the game.  The confidence and authority of the modern day NHL referee has gradually been eroded through the safety net and hands on approach that the Hockey Operations Department exerts over both the officials and the Officiating Department. Telephones installed in the officials dressing room provide a direct link to the Toronto Situation Room. The "hot line" can ring between periods if Hockey Operations personnel deem it necessary to provide input to the officials. The last time I checked, while many of them were excellent players, none of them refereed a game in the league! Far too many times I see minor penalties assessed for what should easily be judged as a major or match infraction such as James Neals knee to the head of Brad Marchand. Either the referees judgment needs considerable tweaking or they prefer to rely on supplementary discipline to suspend a player if the Player Safety Committee deems it violent enough. Video review is an excellent tool to verify the scoring of a legal goal but that decision also is taken out of the referees hands and electronically transported to Toronto. That is of course, unless the Situation Room cant make a clear and firm decision in which case an "inconclusive verdict" throws the call back in the referees lap who has yet to see a replay of the incident. I dont think its so much about checking ones ego at door Jeff. I believe its more about developing proper coaching techniques and to empower the officials to be the very best that they can be. While there are a number of officials that do a terrific job there is much work that is required in this area. The NHL Officials, to a man, are good and dedicated people. They deserve the very best opportunity to succeed. Its in the best interest of the game they are given the proper tools to do so. Natrell Jamerson Saints Jersey . With Washington teammate Nene drawing double-teams coming off his big game against the Lakers, Gortat scored 25 points on 11-of-12 shooting and grabbed eight rebounds to lead the Wizards to a 100-92 win in overtime over Milwaukee on Wednesday night. Saints Jerseys . The Swede became the first golfer to win the PGA Tours FedEx Cup and European Tours Race to Dubai in the same season. "It is still taking a little time to sink in what Ive achieved this week as was the case when I won the FedEx Cup but then it just kept getting better and better as the days went on and I am sure this will be the same," he said. http://www.officialsaintslockroom.com/ri...ts-jersey/ . More importantly, he is trying to show his young teammates the Colorado are still post-season contenders. He hopes winning a series at home was a fresh start.Boston, MA (SportsNetwork.com) - Nazem Kadri scored the deciding goal of the shootout as the Toronto Maple Leafs prevailed with a 4-3 win over the Boston Bruins. Mike Santorelli, Torontos first shooter, made several quick moves before shooting the puck through the legs of Tuukka Rask for a good goal. Torey Krug tied the shootout with a quick wrister over the glove of Jonathan Bernier in the second round. Kadri opened the fifth round by shuffling a backhander off Rasks pad and through his legs to put the Maple Leafs ahead, and David Krejci missed the net for Boston to end the game. Phil Kessel notched his 500th career point after finishing with a goal and an assist, while James van Riemsdyk and Leo Komarov also scored as the Maple Leafs ended a two-game skid. Bernier stopped 25 shots in the win. Carl Soderberg had a goal and an assist, Krejci and Krug also lit the lamp and Rask stopped 18 shots for the Bruins, who were coming off a 5-2 win over Detroit on Monday. Boston stormed back to tie the game with two goals late in the second period. Krejcis offering went off Toronto defenseman Cody Franson and into the net with 4:32 to play and less than two minutes later, Krugs cross-crease dish went off Komarovs skate and into the net for a 3-3 contest heading into the third. The Maple Leafs survived a late onslaught and the game went to overtime as Bernier made nine saves and Rask made just two. Boston continued its strong pllay by outshooting Toronto 4-0 in the extra session, but was unable to convert. TreQuan Smith Saints Jersey. . Toronto started the scoring midway through the opening period as Peter Holland wrestled the puck off a defender below the goal line and sent a pass to the slot, where Komarov beat Rask with a quick shot just inside the right post. Each team scored within the first minute of the middle stanza. Soderberg tied the game just 17 seconds into the frame as he deflected Reilly Smiths point shot in front. The puck trickled through Berniers pads and Soderberg swiped it into the net for a power-play goal. Kessel raced into the offensive zone and sent a pass from the right faceoff dot to van Riemsdyk, who tapped the puck through the pads of Rask from the slot for a 2-1 score 31 seconds later. Kessel extended Torontos lead to 3-1 on the power play as he skated up to the left circle and wristed a shot off the pipe and past Rask at 9:45. Game Notes Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul left the game with a lower-body injury and did not return ... Komarov played for the first time since Nov. 29 after missing time with a concussion ... Boston forwards Patrice Bergeron and Milan Lucic both returned to the lineup after sitting on Mondays win over Detroit with undisclosed injuries ... Bruins forward Loui Eriksson played in his 600th NHL game ... The two teams will conclude the season series on Apr. 4 at TD Garden. Jerseys Wholesale Wholesale NFL White Jerseys Stitched NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys NFL Jerseys Outlet Cheap NFL Autographed Jerseys ' ' '